View Single Post
2/24/24, 3:28 PM   #9
Re: Lessons on Promotion
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

From when I started racing till now. Might as well be on another planet because the only thing thats the same is that there is still racing and race tracks.

60s-70s every town and burg had several gas stations and after service hours the race car went on the lift. Many farms raced during growing season and built cars after harvest and maintenance. Lets face it, Motorsports and hot rodding were huge and somewhat affordable to anyone willing to work hard to do it.

A huge majority of Indy 500 and Daytona racers were from local and area tracks and somewhat racing promoted itself..

Yes Promoters put up the promotions flyers on phone poles in popular areas. flyers on cars and often had some kind of side show to add to a event.

Today we got people who work at home, have entertainment centers at home Some have outdoor pools, fire pits grilling and smoking outfits and a big screen on the back of their house., Order and have shipped groceries and food to their home.

Why go out?

There are new advertising proceses out there. In Cincy area there's a thing called VIA Media that gets the streaming channels and all over cable/satalite when every break that includes a local segment put's your ad out.

I still think a big MARQUEE SIGN if your tracks in a busy area does well. Not some digital sign with five different things that pop up and you may see only if your at a red light. Burg always had one until the remodel. I remember Chuck Miles having one on the hill entering Bloomington on Rt 46

BLOOMINGTON SPEEDWAY
7-4 Sprints-Sportsmen FIREWORKS
7-29 Bloomington Bash. Sprints Late Models 40 lap features.
8-27 USAC SPRINTS

I don't know the answers but getting them in the door is only half the battle. Getting them to come back means getting a connection between the racers and fans, Some rivalries. Some meet and greets.

I do think streaming needs to have blackouts or pay extra within a hundred miles. Sure you can watch the USAC show. pay the 30 everyone else does and stay home and drink yourself into a stupor if you want.

I also think kids under 10 should be free and maybe a student price for 11-17. Got no Idea how many I know that quit going once they had kids because it was too expensive. GET the parents in the door, The kids will want this and that to eat or drink all night long

Taylor Swift night? OMG. Wouldn't mind a Buffet night though.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/24/24 at 3:40 PM.