View Single Post
1/24/20, 12:42 PM   #8
Re: FloSports camera coverage
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

What's aggravating to the highest degree is when they will be showing a battle for a transfer, or any spot, and then cut away to the leader in 3&4 taking the checker and then pull back and never return to the battle.
I think dirtvision got some better at not doing that, Lucas Oil Productions is pretty terrible at doing that and generally being over produced.

I don't know if it's a lack of camera men or what. Because a camera should always be on the leader and another on what ever the hottest battle is at the least. If you cut away to the leader taking the flag, cut right back to the real race. NOW in times where there just isn't much happening in a particular heat, which we know happens, the pulling back and just showing all the cars crossing the line is a fine thing to do.

As far as wanting the commentator to match what's on screen, I could not disagree more! I really like the dirtvision, Flo, & speedshift format where it's the announcers at track announcing the entire race not just what's on the screen. I can see what's on the video screen, I can't see anything else so Johnny Gibson or Rob Klepper giving me an audio picture of what else is going on on the race track in addition to what I can see, plus how the announcers can be the cue to change camera shots and battles is spectacular compare to Major Network Telecasts. On MavTv (Lucas Oil Productions) or NASCAR on either network, the commentators seem to generally just be watching the screen and talking over those pictures. That just adds so little, because like I said I can see the screen, bring in more information about things I can't see in the moment!

Now take the reverse of that and expect a camera switch every time the announcer picks up a new piece of action, I think you have 2 problems. I think the feed would become too choppy with camera switches (a big gripe I have with LOP and NASCAR coverage). It doesn't need to be over produced and jumping around; I feel like most folks are doing a pretty good job with criticism here and there. The other issue is I doubt that there are enough boots on the ground to quickly find each change the announcer can make it laying out the entire race. Trying to have your limited cameras keep changing focus would likely literally lead to them getting lost. (Think 1979 Daytona 500 when no one on the TV side had any idea where Petty and Waltrip were).
Last edited by brsteg; 1/24/20 at 12:48 PM.

1 member likes this post: billw