View Single Post
10/5/19, 2:32 PM   #29
Re: F1 - Halo to the Rescue (Spoiler)
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat15 View Post
That can't be the same Jack Harvey that is the crew chief for Jimmy Wilson, he would never say such a thing. lol. Indy car lost me when it went to fender cars. I still watch the 500 but that's it. BTW I don't like bullriders wearing catchers masks either.

Jack Harvey the race car driver. They haven't had the "fenders" since last year and that was an initiative to try and keep cars from ramping up into the air with wheel contact brought on directly by the Wheldon accident. Flying cars aren't a good thing for either drivers or fans and if you want ovals to remain safety initiatives like this have to be pushed.

BTW, it's not the first time there have been attempts to enclose wheels on an Indy car. What we have today is because other past initiatives were failures either due to being ahead of the available tech or lost in evolving rules. The current formula could have looked vastly different had multiple things been successful in the past.

I bet if you ask those riders they are glad they have that safety feature to use so they don't have to spend time in the ER getting their face put back together or much worse. My GF rides horses in competition jumping and I have yet to hear someone complain about have to wear impact vests or certain types of helmets. The reason why, just like auto racing, in bull and horse riding there are a million things that can severely injure or kill you, having something fixed that can easily be fixed is just one less thing to worry about.
Last edited by Brickyard; 10/5/19 at 2:52 PM.

1 member likes this post: wright59