View Single Post
9/16/21, 8:55 AM   #6
Re: Are 360 and limited classes feeders or a cheaper option?
Ray3

I'll add my $.02. The biggest problem when a series takes cost cutting measures is the promoters seem to take that as a license to cut the purse. The whole point of the cost cutting measure is to increase car count to help the promoter provide a better show. However, cutting the purse either stops or slows the increase of cars. One thing racers need to do though, is make sure the cost cutting measures don't slow the cars to a point the promoter feels forced to cut the purse. For instance, the Badger Midgets went to their DOHC 2.4 liter performance production based program. The cars still turn laps at 14.4 at Angell Park where the track record for Badger was 14.1 and the USAC track record is 14.3. We can argue the reasons why but heck Badger qualified a tad faster than USAC when they visitied Angell Park over labor day weekend! Keeping the speed in the cars is important to the promoter to justify keeping the purse up. As long as the series does what Badger did, the promoter should be holding or increasing the overall purse.

On another note, promoters who don't understand that back gate promoting is not sustainable frustrate me. If you take a good look and run scenarios of different car counts you will find that there is a point of diminishing return. So just packing the back gate is not the answer. Front gate promoting is the only real way to make a profit at a race track.
Last edited by Ray3; 9/16/21 at 9:11 AM.