View Single Post
8/15/18, 1:27 PM   #19
Re: Ranger aircraft engine?
HurstBros0

Never seen one run… There was a fellow here in Salem who had one. Bill Pennington. Bill’s father (Wacker) ran the Dodge and Desoto dealership. Bill had a TQ sometime in his life also. The trailer he towed the midget on had the front axle out of his sprint car along with the Dayton wheels. He was stopped at the stop light in Salem once and a guy spied the wheels on the trailer. The guy chased him down and gave him 600 dollars apiece for the wheels.
The only story I can remember about the sprint car and the Ranger was… There was an old track east of Salem called the American Legion Speedway. They raced there in the 20`s and 30`s. Bill and his driver (He said but it didn`t stick) had been having oiling issues with the Ranger. Bill had polished and shimmed the relief spring in the pump as a repair. As Bill told it they were two laps from the end and his driver held up three fingers as he passed by. Bill said, (Please read this in a gravely tenor voice with a King Edward cigar burning in the background) “I knew right what he meant.” “He had 300 pounds of oil pressure.” Now I don`t know what was a normal pressure, but 300 pounds might have been overkill. I wish I would have been more attentive to the history lesson I was getting, but Bill was also known to embellish a little to make the story more palatable.