View Single Post
8/14/18, 9:32 AM   #12
Re: Ranger aircraft engine?
TQ29m

I think they were rated at around 250hp as they sat in the trainer PT19, but could easily be bumped to over 400, but the torque was unreal, with an over square bore and stroke, bore just over 4" and stroke well over 5", they were awesome in those days, and cheap, Army Surplus prices were as low as $35.00 ea, Dizz was rumored to have gone to Ft Hood, and bought 5, NOS at one time, brought 2 home with him, in his car, and had the other 3 shipped to Mitchel, so it was a very cheap HP deal, and, according to some sources , very dependable, one owner said he raced one for 3 years, with really only minor maint. My reason for doing this, goes back many years, when I was growing up, still am, a neighbor had bought a surplus PT19, and was out one day, showing off for his sweetheart, who lived in Hartsville, In, the irony of this story is, at one time, there had been a College in Hartsville, called Hartsville College, it had burned down, but the connection was, the Wright brother's father had been a Professor there, well, ole Royce parked that PT19 in a big blue spruce tree that was still there, no big deal, but the sudden stop shot the engine out over the hill, and into a cemetery, the FAA came and went, but after things cooled down a bit, I borrowed Dad's car and trailer, and a couple of us loaded up the engine, that was my first one, but it got away, so did the second and third, now I have bought a 4th, and hopefully it will get put in a race car, just because I've always wanted to. I'd bet the Hurst Bros could add to the Ranger story, Brewer is gone, but I don't think he ever ran one, or his Dad, but they ran a lot of Cadillacs! That's why they called it run what ya brung, and no substitute for Cubic Inches! Bob