View Single Post
6/1/10, 8:17 AM   #7
Re: What is Lucas Oil's business model?
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
He is a prime case of advertising pays off.

When he put his name on The Colts stadium, it was said that he spends over 30% of his income on advertising.
I appreciate all that Lucas Oil has done for motorsports. I appreciate that Forrest Lucas loves motorsports, and is a good guy. I really appreciate the track he has in Wheatland. I have no ill will towards Lucas oil at all.

However, my comment was more around how sustainable is all of this. If I were to guess at the amount of money they spend on adversting it would be large. Colts stadium $5 mill a year, two NHRA top fuel teams $8 mill a year, all of the grass roots stuff that he does $2 mill a year (sprints, late models, tractors boats, etc). Thus, by my numbers he is spending $15 million a year on advertising, and using your number on his budget this means he is selling $45 million dollars worth of product. All of these numbers are all uninformed guesses. Any real numbers would be appreciated.

I just don't see Lucas Oil selling that much product. If Lucas Oil was the top choice of over the road semi trucks, and half of all semi trucks used his products, the numbers would make more sense. Until this thread, I never knew that he sold to the semi truck market.