View Single Post
4/22/19, 11:46 PM   #55
Re: Double D"s ride in USAC?
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I guess something on this thread led me to believe that 7horse is a young person, I may be wrong. While I don’t agree with everything he posts, if he is indeed a youngster, then I’m glad he’s paying some kind of attention. I would say it’s up to those of us who truly believe in our sport to help him see the virtues without running him off. And I know we’ve been through this all before but I think it needs repeating. To me, it’s clear how much the endorsement of some of our graduates, Stewart, Larson, Kahne, means to short track racing, specifically the WOO. I always say that their excellence in USAC is most responsible for getting them to the next level, yet you rarely hear them endorsing it outside of the chili bowl, which isn’t even USAC. They talk about their dirt track roots, but do little to help build up the club that was arguably their biggest stepping stone. I don’t get it
True case of, "what have you done for me lately?"

The costs of running USAC have more than outweighed the pros. I have heard top level teams spend anywhere from $100k to $400k chasing the top three levels of the sport we call USAC. You could win every race (90 x $5k = $450k) and barely break even.

DD is literally one of the best drivers to ever run a sprint car and he cannot keep a ride from year to year. We love seeing him at the track but now he often picks on the little guy just trying to race anything given to him. I don't necessarily blame him though because he just wants to race like the rest of us. It's a sunk cost putting money in this sport because it's rare to break even at the end of the year. Atleast WoO and All Stars pay well enough to cover the costs when you finish top 10.

A typical USAC night at the races costs a team:

$300 engine wear
$120 pit passes
$60 methanol
$60 diesel
$60 food
$400 in tires

This equals $900 just to show up without tearing up any equipment. Thats a 5th place finish with USAC on a local night. Double the diesel if you're traveling or if you need a hotel room.

2 members like this post: 2rock21, tirespinner