View Single Post
Flags anything (Offline)
  #14 7/21/08 6:10 PM
Whille spend over a quarter of a century during my racing days in the flag stand I have been able to work with alot of sanciting bodies and race tracks, this "intial start being called back for jumping" has beat up so many times by the fans, drivers, and yes the flagman.

Most of the sancitiong bodies designate a point (usally T-4 or just out on the front chute) with a cone/ white line where they "want" the "leader/ field" to pick up the throttle. If everything at point properly alinged we "go green".

When things don't go right that is where the issues of was it a "bad start" come into play. Here is what I am looking at when the geen waves.

1) Did the "field throttle up" altogether, or did the "pole/ front row" take off way to early. If the first occured it's a "good start". If the second occured, the "pole/ front row" just got an advantage over the balance of the "field." That isn't fair to the racers in back of the field of that race.

2) If it's a "bad/ false start" what is the "correct action" to get the "fair start". First throw the yellow and get'em in line. Most sancitioning bodies will allow 1 "false start", depending on the size of the track the cars are back in line and usally between the flagman and "track steward" at the cone/ line when they get back to that point, the drivers understand their mistake and we are ready to race, issue resolved.

3) If it happens again (same event) now is where it could get confusing, as there are to 2 schools of thought. One play on penalize the offender at the next yellow (in most cases 2 for 1 gained) or throw the yellow (false start) and peanlize at that point. Thankfully the sancitioing bodies and track I have been with opt for the 1 action.

Now look at if it's not the "pole/ front row" it's deeper in the field. Over the years in drivers meeting it has been explained and explained and explained..... "you are to be 2 by by 2 by 2 and front row picks the throttle at the cone/ line. He is going to be treated just like any other "jumper."

For the most part, once the drivers figure out the "quriks, twitches or movement" that the flagman dose (not intentionly)that split second before he/ she waves the green then it's sometimes ugly. And the same goes for the flagman, he/ she needs to learn what the drivers "quirks" are then everyone concerne is on the same page and hopefully no "false starts."

Remember we could go back to the "days of old" where the racers had to be "side by side" at the "STARTING LINE/ FLAGSTAND" Now how many "false starts" would we have by that procedure.

The thing to look at is, DID EVERYBODY THROTTLE UP AT THE SAME TIME AND DID ANYBODY GAIN AN ADVANTAGE BEFORE THE GREEN FLAG/ LIGHT.

When I am flagging a race I strive only use 4 flags the whole night a green, white, checkerd, and a yellow (only because that lets the drivers know that there is push trucks on the track.)