View Single Post
9/29/10, 9:23 PM   #42
Re: Pit Passes & Why You Should be Concerned
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple73 View Post
I totally understand where Don is coming from.

So how can the dilema be fixed?

I wonder how a race track ownership "Co-op" would work?
Much like a farmer owned co-op you see in ag states.

The car owners and/or interested parties would take part in the ownership.
You could have overall ownership shares and/or yearly shares also.

Instead of running for a purse that is a fraction of the nights revenue,
you would be racing for a much bigger take. The proceeds of the night paid to the shareholders thus helping finance partners racing. Figure out ways too actively increase purses.
With the number of midget, sprint and champ car owners in Indiana alone, why couldn't something like this work?
If this was successful it would help with purses everywhere, because you could show the financial model and purse model could work.
If you build something special you could definately get advertisiers.

Example: Build a big half mile-quarter mile combo track about 15 miles or so south of Indy. Advertise well. Build stands for 20k people to start with. If you could incease purse size plus know you were making money from the event it's self, could create car counts that would be really big.
People would probably come to see car counts of 50-70 cars.
Have many more midget races and combine them with sprint shows.
Also have champ car nights as many of the ownership group would benefit from that also.

I think it would be worth examining a business case for something like this.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Not trying to be totally negative here but I have a few questions. First one would be who is going to pay for building this big half-quarter mile combo track about 15 miles or so South of Indy? With grandstands to seat 20K people to start with, where are you going to get the fans from to fill these seats? What night would you plan on racing and which current tracks are you proposing to put out of business? Indiana is saturated with dirt tracks and a new one certainly won't work without pulling both fans and cars from other tracks.

Friday night you have Bloomington, Gas City & Union County. Saturday night you have Lawrenceburg, Twin Cities, Brownstown, Paragon, Lincoln Park, Waynesfield & Montpelier. Sunday night is Kokomo. Add in special events tracks like Tri State and Terre Haute as well as pavement tracks like ORP, Winchester & Salem. Also on the pavement side you have Anderson, Speedrome, Mt. Lawn, Baer Field, Plymouth all that run on Saturday night. Who loses the cars and fans and is forced to close among this group? There are 12 tracks racing on Saturday night currently without any competition from the special events tracks. Plus, I am sure I am missing some along the way. Add those in and no wonder the grandstands need some more butts. I don't see a positive in this one at all. Sorry.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

3 members like this post: jim goerge, mowerman, racefan20