Thread: Tire Dopers
View Single Post
The Old Coyote (Offline)
  #241 4/2/22 4:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tim:
Folks,

We can gripe and complain about this forever. How about some solutions? Are there things that can be done from a program perspective to deter the desire for doping? Assuming the tire is doped to soften it, can the feature length be increased to the point that a doped tire wouldn't last? The one tire for qualification, heat and feature could also help this, which some organizations have adopted. The durometer rule can be effective assuming whatever durometer is in calibration (meaning it is tested against a test block prior to each use) but it would mean that any durometers used by teams at the shop to confirm the tires' hardness is also in calibration. Seems like some ambiguity here, as well. I believe we're all in agreement, though, that the current testing protocol is suspect to some degree so, is there a way to eliminate the testing necessity altogether?

Tim Simmons
In my earlier post, I suggested the teams bring their Durometer to the track with them and check it against the tracks Durometer at sign in.

Real Race Cars Don't Have Fenders!
Ed