View Single Post
team3521 (Offline)
  #28 5/1/11 1:50 PM
Jack,

Here is another one of my many opinions for $0.02. To get to the "next level" in motorsports, the money level, you need quite a few talents and driving skill is just one of them but I believe becoming less of a priority than the rest. You need to be a living advertisement. Spewing the sponsors names and don't you dare miss one!

First and foremost though, you need to possess A LOT of charisma. You need to be a pretty boy or girl as we've witnessed recently. Now the new in, is to be part of a diversity program. To be a minority with some talent will get you a ride before a triple crown championship will. Which is sickening! It's all money, money, money! Corporations with the sponsorship dollars is what is choosing the drivers now. All of us on this board could come up with a list that would be as long as your arm of drivers that should have been in the next level and would have been if they were born in an earlier era. Why? because they earned their chance by racing and winning at the grass roots level of America.

I hate the fact that Indy is a buy your ride deal now and you can't pronounce half the drivers names any more. Nascar is a total mess and

I would dare to say more of an "American" sport than other upper levels are now which is again, sad. I would agree with you though. We should go to our local races this summer and support "our" heros. Our heros are more approachable and more appreciative of us anyway.
So, the point I am trying to make here with this post is I don't think in our lifetimes it will ever come back to the way it used to be. Even with rule changes,venue changes or modifications. Let's hope that the corporate world doesn't start to effect the level of racing that "advanced" racing fans like us on this board enjoy. Let the average joe racing fan go support the upper levels and we'll stay local. Much better all around!

PS. I wish you were still promoting midget races in the midwest and so does everyone else in the area with a midget setting in their garage.