View Single Post
2/19/24, 11:41 AM   #20
Re: Questions For The Experts
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
So new question for the experts especially since the tire situation was brought up.

First 2 nights of Ocala didnt appear to be too many tire situations. The 2 races at Volusia didn't appear to be too many tire situations. The first of 3 nights at Ocala again, (yeah tonight rained out), didn't appear to be too many tire situations. Last night all h*** broke loose on tire situations. Grant, Bacon, Westfall, Pursley, any others. I'm talking these guys aren't inexperienced or slouches. 2 are the past champions for the last 4 years straight.

So...was the track simply that much different and that bad on tires on Friday night at Ocala? Or did they run into a bad batch of tires? Or just everyone running that much harder or what? If it's the track surface, what does this to cause the tire issues?
Ocala (and for that matter, Volusia too) has dirt that is more sandy than a typical Midwestern track. IMO, Ocala/BRP has a much smaller "window" where it is tacky and not dry or slimy. It also seems to get VERY abrasive when it dries out. Volusia dried out both nights USAC was there as well, but Vousia doesn't seem to get as abrasive as does Ocala.

I have seen USAC there where some teams burn through (2) RR's in a 30 lap feature. I'm not defending the track crew, but there was weather relatively close by, and the wind was higher all evening than predicted, so they had conditions working against them all evening.

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J