View Single Post
ModernDayDrifter (Offline)
  #212 12/14/15 11:36 PM
Would this idea work?

First off I want to make it clear that my theory of the format of this event is just to address the issues with cautions. And is not taking the fumes issue into account, although I believe this theory will help that issue out tremendously.

I was in the building for hotlaps/qualifying with only 4 cars on the track and it went very smooth. And after replaying that in my mind this is the basis for my theory...

Invitation Process: There is absolutely no need to invite 40 cars from each class. Invite 20 through a qualifier event process throughout the season. Winners of events and Points Champions only invited. If one driver dominates many races as seems to happen, you can substitute for highest average finish, 2nd in points series standings, etc. etc. You get the idea.

Hotlaps/Qualifying: Same way it was done this past weekend. 4 cars, 4 laps. After Qualifying is over have a fan (preferably a kid) flip a coin to determine if the slower cars in each race get advantage by starting inside. Kind of like an invert. Also have a purse for top 3 qualifiers. These two things combined will help deter sandbagging in qualifying as its all a crap shoot on who gets the starting advantage.

Bracket style races: Two cars to a race. 4 laps. Winner advances. Example: P1 vs. P20, P2 vs. P19, P3 vs. P18, etc. Ten races for each class. Losers go to the losers bracket round. From there you end up with the Champion of the winners bracket, who collects and keeps the winners purse. But he is then matched up with the winner from the losers bracket round, with that driver getting the preferred line of his/her choice. If the losers bracket champion wins, that driver takes home the trophy and bonus payout. If the winners bracket champion wins he collects a bonus payout, regular payout, and the trophy. This ensures that all drivers have a chance even if they lose in the first round.

My theory is that two cars at a time will reduce the cautions, will also allow for less fumes. You can also do all the other festivities to help air the building out. It would be entertaining... Imagine if a driver like Clauson or Larson lost in the first round, they wouldn't be completely out of it but they would definitely have to work for it to make it till the end. You add a little banking to the track and you might actually see a race.

It's not your traditional event, but could be worth a shot to try it. I think this format could work, maybe with some tweaking but using this overall concept. Maybe add in some grudge matches if the car owners wanted to throw some money in... Im sure you could incorporate some type of Charity event for this also.

This idea they had has potential to be something great, but it does need help and I think everyone realizes that now. It was the first event, and was a damn good try.

My question is..... would you, the fans, go for an event like this?
4 Likes: i love dirt track racing, Jesse B, Racer1039, SWScaleChassis