Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/23/09, 12:50 AM   #35
Re: The Rumor Mill
randyrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtvwrocks View Post
Web based tv is the future, once the quality gets there, for these independents. They can capture their niche market, do it on a much more cost-effective scale, and still have some of the *sizzle* of television. But network television is still king......capturing more eyeballs (which is what the advertisers want) than every other form of advertising combined.
This is the key. It's encouraging to read that USAC's moving in that direction. I really get excited when I think about the prospect of an internet feed to my big screen.

Just being able to watch the webstream on USAC Pit Pass from Kokomo last week was super - made me renew my vows to try to get to an IN Speedweek or Midgetweek & plan to make Grandview next year (so I'm not shut out again when the Grove WxCx's).

Stumbling across the Little 500 on DirectTV last weekend got me fired up to head for RIR this week.
In racing, seeing it on TV or the web just wets your appetite to see it live & gives you a basic knowledge of who & what you'll see when you get to the track.

The reality TV potential would seem a natural. The way Thurs Night Thunder was done, it seemed almost like a reality series. You had (usually) the same 4 interesting tracks (IRP, Winchester, Anderson, Salem) that each had its own quirky personality - they were like characters themselves. You got to see 3 different (but related) classes of racecars, driven by the same cast of characters that ranged from teenage future stars to living legend veterans.
When it started on espn, I was almost 20 yrs gone from the Midwest & had forgotten about USAC racing, but it immediately snapped me back to my roots & happy memories, prompting me to plan family visits home around the IL Fairground races or the USAC visits to Granite City with stops in Bloomington & K-C Rwy enroute.

I remain convinced that if USAC can get a winged Sprint Car fan to see a USAC Sprint (or better yet, Silver Crown) race on their home track, they'll appreciate the difference & come back again next year. Word of webcasts from all those legendary tracks in IN they've heard about forever (but never seen), will richochet around Hoseheads, stimulate interest & discussion, & prompt them to come out when USAC tours nearby.

These are tough times. Do what it takes to survive & endure, hopefully without losing anything.

Hope that broadband grid access expands quickly to more USAC venues & use every available opportunity to get video of USAC events on Pit Pass. Once enough tracks are wedcast capable, the webcasts are debugged, & able to handle the volume, advertise their availability. A subscription package, with archieved content, similar to CBS All Access College Sports would work for me. Offer a few big events free, just to set the hook.
Thanks for asking.
Last edited by randyrad; 6/23/09 at 1:04 AM. Reason: typo