Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/22/09, 10:59 PM   #32
Re: The Rumor Mill
Hubie

Thinking about this the past few hours, it all boils down to money. The racers are not making enough to justify towing to God Knows Where Speedway. I go to at least 15 USAC shows a year, it is my preference. As many others have pointed out, the answer lies with MORE pavement races supplemented by a tire rule. The tires should last longer and thus not be such a cost burden to the teams. I think all the racers should receive some form of tow money, for without the teams there is no show.

What gets the fans out? A great riddle. For me, I truly value watching the great drivers USAC all ready has competing within it's ranks. We have seen references to the "Thursday Night Thunder" series (which I never missed in person) and the crowds were no doubt a high watermark for the club. Living on the West Side of Indy it was not uncommon to see folks whom I never saw at a racetrack otherwise sitting and enjoying the action. Why did they come? A sense of importance, along with drivers who were can't miss talent. Gordon (both of them) Irwin, Bliss, Vogler, Butler, Calabrase, Stryker and Drinan, Kallitta (excuse me for miss spelling some names!) These races in both Sprint and Midget divisions were not foregone conclusions. The Midget division was very diverse. Watching the VW take on the new water pumper Pontiac's was something even the casual fan understood. (and for the most part I believe Indianapolis has some pretty astute racing fans)

Obviously the majority of these drivers ended up going to NASCAR. No fault of either the Club or the fans. But the wave was missed none the less. I do believe there is plenty of talent in USAC right now. Some very fine drivers. I think Sprint Week is almost as much fun as Christmas! I wish that instead of Stock Cars on the bill some other form (read Midget, Mini Sprint) would be much better but I understand the need to pad the pit gate I have yet to really get a straight answer to how much USAC charges these tracks to stage a Club sanctioned race (and that's ok, I am not in the racing business so I don't need an answer) but I do know several racers who have at least 75K tied up in their operations and I also know they race for 2K, which is a total joke.

Promote the racers, pay the racers, mind the fans by getting them home on time would be a step in the right direction. To save pavement racing, of which there is a varied opinion, to make it viable for the racer he needs to be able to race his car at least a dozen times, and close to Head Quarters (Indy)

my two cents anyway

Hubie