View Single Post
8/19/12, 8:10 PM   #146
Re: USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?
ThePurple73

One area I haven't heard discussed much is the format of the events. This issue isn't just Silver Crown but open wheel races in general.
Sure all of us open wheel fans don't mind going early seeing warmup's, Time Trials and finally the race. But I am finding more and more people I ask to attend races with me don't want to sit for 6-7 hours in the grandstands.
No doubt you have track prep, but could an event like Silver Crown have a couple qualifying races and then the main event?

The reason I was bring this up is event packages, could you get fairs to hold events(besides Illinois and Duqouin)? State fairgrounds in Missouri, Iowa, Indiana or other tracks during fairs, festivals. Even though half mile tracks, could the cars be made suitable and possibly shorter main event distances? Then try getting major sponsorship that transcends multiple states plus great advertising. Get the race over in time to prepare for other night time entertainment. Then double the amount of events if possible at the current dirt events, like Indy, Duqouin, Springfield, Terre Haute.

The other lost art at racing events is announcing. Though it seems there are good announcers in the past at Springfield and Duqouin, some events this isn't the case. Hire someone that sounds professional, and can tell you something about the drivers, the sport, who to watch, and create enthusiasm with out screaming and everytime a drivers car is mentioned, not saying the engine;chassis builder;sponsor;race equip;nick name in 2.5 seconds.

For example: I have heard Daron Clayton called the Modern Day Cowboy dozens and dozens of times and I enjoy watching him race. But I have no idea why they call him that? No announcer I have heard has ever explained it. Is it that he is exciting to watch? Does he wear a hat? Does he own a ranch?
Last edited by ThePurple73; 8/19/12 at 8:12 PM.