View Single Post
9/6/11, 2:06 PM   #9
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
team3521

Don,

It is NOT going to happen! Midget racing has turned into a rich mans sport. As you already know, the money it costs to race them has eliminated the small guys like you and I, that love midget racing. We can't compete with the wallets of anyone that can still afford to race in this economy! Hoosier has obsolescence engineered into each and every tire that they sell and they have the correct people in place to mandate what tires you and I run so that we have to bolt on new every single time the car hits the track or we do not compete! That is the fact! At least on pavement it is. I don't know about dirt racing if it's the same situation? I know it's not the same, but the big teams are still bolting on new I'd bet.
But, as far as I'm concerned, the tire bills are as much or more to blame as the engine bills. 4 bucks a gallon to get to the track and back doesn't help either.

Even if I could buy an engine today that would cost 8, or 10, or 12 grand and I could compete with it, my car would stay in the shop because I cannot afford the tire bill at the end of the night. Not too many small guys can anymore, especially in this economy. You get paid 200 bucks for making the feature and you pay 600 or more dollars for tires. That means you lost big!

It's just not meant for the small guys like you and I anymore! Hopefully the higher above powers recognize this and make some major changes, but I don't think it's going to happen.