View Single Post
3/24/11, 5:04 AM   #1
adding a refrigerator to a sprint car.
Larryoracing

I had this idea for about 6 months now. All the hot rodders use to use them in the old days. I think now, most would consider it a joke, but I think the idea is still valid. I think the HP gains can be computed mathematically, also. Some people already have. I think I can cool the intake air 15-20 degree farenheit.

Kool/Cool can. I bought a refrigerator for my 23T bucket. I really bought it for the supercharger I'm going to install on my hot rod.
Basically it's about 3 gallon box that holds about 4 lbs of ice. It sits in front of the radiator and looks like a small fuel cell, but it is not.
The air from the supercharger is ducted to the "refrigerator"/ice box and cools the air before entering the air cleaner above the 4bbl carb. There is also enough room to cool about 25 feet of coiled fuel lines going to the carb.

They say for every degree you cool the air you get (?) so much extra HP. The cooling of the fuel is the extra/icing on the cake.

The icebox weighs basically nothing. And depending how much ice you dump into the box...2-3 lbs you may add a few extra lbs to my T-bucket or a sprint car. But, I think I should feel a little improvement in performance and I think the same result could be felt on the sprint car even though it is not supercharged. I just want to cool the air to about 42 degrees fareheit before entering the air injector box above the stacks.

I already bought the supercharger, the specially built ice box from a racer/manifacturer for super/turbo chargers and all the 4" ducting going from the supercharger to icebox to the air cleaner/bonnet that sits on top of the carburetor. Speciallhy built supercharger carburetor also...lol!

What you think? I also think if you wanted you could add a little box the full size of the bottom of the fuel bladder on a sprint car to cool the bottom of the fuel tank, too cool the fuel. Just an idea.

Sincerely,

Larry "O"
Last edited by Larryoracing; 3/24/11 at 5:07 AM.