View Single Post
10/19/19, 11:13 AM   #48
Re: F1 - Halo to the Rescue (Spoiler)
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
It is so typical of those who think as you do that we who feel we have lost something special that set us apart are xenophobic Neanderthals. You are correct that change is inevitable, but it is not always positive or progress.
Mike Devin was the one who pointed that out in Beast, you're not going to like this, but he also went on to say that the only one's he ever heard be outwardly negative to foreigners, contrary to what ever Tony George was claiming at the time the fanbase wanted, were the rednecks of the fanbase. USAC.....technical director..........

I have to be quite honest, it's always blown my mind that some fans of a form of racing that has existed since the early 1900's, has ran on everything from road courses(even in the early days), dirt, board tracks, asphalt, has continually evolved with changing tech, and has a centerpiece race that was billed as an international event and technological showcase(which sadly is not what it once was) and saw international competition starting from day one with exception of the world war and post war periods, get so upset that a guy in one of the cars of said international showcase event doesn't have some good small town name and short track nickname like Jack "Weight Jacker" Jones.

The special part of Indianapolis wasn't having 33 American dirt slayers with cute nicknames like "Stomp and Steer" and "Macho Man" lining up to hang it all out on da line for da fans, the special part of Indianapolis was having a month long celebration of speed and technology that attracted some of the best drivers, owners, and manufactures around the world ...future and former F1 champions, endurance race winners, some Cup drivers, and those who had proven themselves on the local scene, etc.....American and foreign.

I love dirt racing, but not at the expense of one of the biggest races in the world or what is slowly building it's way back to being a respected series, because I'm mad online that I can't see Sunshine lay it all out on da line in a Dallara chassis.