View Single Post
Brickyard (Offline)
  #26 4/15/17 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights:
That would, to me, make it the "American Race" its suppose to be, instead of F1 lite.

[IMGhttp://www.goldcrownchampionship.com/gcphotopage/toledoshoot/Toledo%20Speedway%20Gold%20Crown%20Shoot%20-2.jpg[/IMG]
When it was billed as an open international event from the very beginning......

Like I've pointed out above, you could have still played in the sandbox had the second split never happened. The rules for the race would probably still be fairly open rather than stuck to a one chassis and two engines limited to how many they will support.

Now, you wouldn't have your Silver Crown cars because frankly they are too dangerous for that place and I don't think a single soul outside a couple of online forums would show up to watch that being that you are basically going backwards in innovation....which is another tenant of that race that sadly got lost in the second split...which of course is why your cars have looked, as you so derisively put it, like F1 lite for over 50 years now.

The cars look the way they do because that was the progression in tech as they found faster ways around that track. Speed is the name of the game in that race and series and a modified Silver Crown car isn't going to cut it. The rear engine was faster than that heavy front engine roadster, the wings made it faster, the turbo added boast, on and on.

Speaking of. You know that stock block Penske Mercedes-Ilmor that everyone accuses of being a cheater when in fact it was well within the USAC rules? One of the reasons that Tony used as a need to "save open wheel from itself"? They were going to make that a customer engine after that race. Yep, sure were....that was until Tony and USAC decided to save everyone. Now you have to hope and pray you can obtain a lease from Honda or Chevy.
2 Likes: chrismattlin, Stevensville Mike