Thread: Hans/Defnder ??
View Single Post
8/26/11, 12:59 AM   #3
Re: Hans/Defnder ??
Joe Whisler

I have no experience with the HANS, so I can't say.

I have the DefNder, and I find it easy to use. I like the idea of it having tethers that restrict forward and lateral movement. It has quite a bit of adjustment available. I use mine with a ButlerBuilt Sprint Advantage seat, and Hooker Harness belts w/ a 2" shoulder harness, and a Bell GTX2 helmet. They have plenty of room for 3".

One thing that I noticed and I think is important to remember is that if you use more than one helmet to make sure your tethers are still adjusted correctly for each. I had to drill the holes in my old Impact helmet, and when I switched to my new Bell that comes pre-drilled, I needed to shorten the tethers. If you happened to see the videos of my June 11th and June 25th flips, you might notice a little extra helmet movement. That's because I never corrected the tethers.

I came from stock car racing and never had used a head and neck restraint until this year, but I have had no problem adjusting. If you are interested in buying one, call Brian Butler at ButlerBuilt and he can answer any questions you might have. They should have them in stock, too. Feel free to use my name if you'd like. Their number is: 704-784-1027

Hope this hepls...