View Single Post
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #5 1/27/23 2:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
Much to do about nothing. What to do with lap cars has been an ongoing conversation for years.....
Agree, sir. Unless there is one, maybe two cars on the lead lap, letting a lone SC car get a lap back will never affect the outcome of the race. I mean, face it - you go a lap down at Springfield or any other big track, you are not going to be close to the leaders in the end whether you've been given a lap back or not. You are not on par that day either way.

What gets me here, though, is why NASCAR implemented this rule in the first place: It was for drivers' safety as cars raced back to the line when the caution came out. If memory serves me right, Dale Jarrett got spun and was sideways and dead stick on the track between Turn 4 and the line at Dover, or maybe Loudon, with his driver's side facing oncoming traffic. The cars were splitting him left and right at racing speed trying to beat the leader back to the line. One unsighted car/driver and it could have been serious disaster.

So NASCAR stopped that right there with the next race. When the caution comes out, the field is "frozen" and the first car a lap down gets the Lucky Dog award. They could have just reverted back to the last completed lap vice freezing the field via timing/scoring loops, but that is a different issue.

Later they implemented the "Wave Around" rule. IndyCar does it now, too. THAT is a pure gimmick. At least the Lucky Dog served a purpose of some sort - safety. With Silver Crown implementing the Lucky Dog, it is pure gimmick.

I dearly hope not, but you know what's more than likely next at the big 100 lap races don't you? It starts with "Stage" and ends with "Racing". Why have hot pits for SC action while laps are being counted?

But I agree, Jonr - this new rule really will not affect anything. It is just the trend and idea of where it came from.

Chiming in live from the West Coast of Michigan.... Mike