View Single Post
8/19/21, 3:42 PM   #6
Re: OT: 16 ARCA Cars entered for Springfield
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
I'm no expert on stock car racing, although as a racing junkie, I follow it more than most people.

Anyways... I think it comes down to the fact that back when ARCA was drawing those huge fields to the dirt miles, all the cars were old, used NASCAR Cup cars. That formula enabled a large number of small business owners to field a car. Today, I don't believe the rules allow for that. I am sure that the current ARCA car differs from a Cup car in engines and bodywork, but not sure what else is incongruent. That takes the small-businessman out of the equation as the prep work for a car is more intensive and better suited to professional race teams.

All those small guys are in the K&N series these days, which is a shame, because those guys loved to one-off at places like Michigan and Pocono with drivers who never would've got the opportunity to run a superspeedway, otherwise.
I'm not a big modified fan but I think they would get a pretty big field and many fans, that makes promoters happy. The ARCA deal is a shame but there were always a couple of teams ahead of the rest. Late models would be interesting, not sure if I've heard of a dirt late model race on a mile recently but I bet it would get some attention. As long as the place stays open to auto racing
Sorry but this was supposed to be a reply to throwback racing and a nascar series involvement.
Last edited by jonboat15; 8/19/21 at 3:46 PM. Reason: mistake