View Single Post
10/24/07, 9:13 PM   #21
Re: 305 Sprints - Whatcha Think?
jonesy112

all i am saying is for 10k you can have a competitive 410 non wing motor, and I would think for 305 you would need a comparatively better motor. IE say non wing 800 horses will put you well in the ball park for a 410, and you can buy a good 780-800 hp used motor for 10-12k, and you are there. now some guy shows up with his gressman built 305 that will compete with the 360's at attica or fremont (WITH WINGS) that he has 17-20 grand in and the low buck larry shows up with the all iron $4k motor but he is making 100hp or more less than the big motor and he will struggle to compete.

I guess what I am saying is I believe non wing with a 410 even a marginal motor will get you close on the bull rings because they overpower the track. with less horsepower in a 305 they are not overpowering a racetrack like the 410 so every horsepower counts. Motors will be expensive and you are running for even less money than the already meager 410 purse.

Now many say the answer is a claim rule. I dont believe that a claim rule really works because there is a gentlemans sort of agreement in those classes not to claim, and when it is broken I have seen it get downright hostile. Being from Iowa originally I use the IMCA boon supernationals as my example. No matter what the claim rule is people will spend more than the claim amount on the motor

Additionally the more rules the more need to enforce them. The 410's are fairly open rules around Indiana and the enforcement is pathetic. I believe at the local tracks running a 460 small block motor would be easy. I have yet to see a motor pumped at a local show. Who is going to police all of the 305 engine rules, the spec tires, wheels, shocks, gears, etc etc. Again with all the spec parts it becomes increasingly difficult to find speed outside of a high dollar motor program. I see the Ford Focus series as a disasterous example of how a crate motor program can go wrong.

I dont want to sound like I have all the reasons things wont work but the bottom line is I feel indiana is the best area of sprint car racing left (which is why i moved here) and this is where Knoxville and others started to go wrong with the creation of support classes that dont make sense. As a former 360 racer at knoxville, and the son of an early 360 racer at knoxville we lived through the progression firsthand.