Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/23/09, 7:09 PM   #83
Re: The Rumor Mill
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
I really wish we could get out of a mindset from 10-20 years ago or more. This is 2009. As much as the pavement side of things is in the tank, I can't believe that you could ever find better racing than we have on dirt right now.
Go watch some Dick Wallen videos. Plenty of them out there. Watch Foyt and Pancho and Bettenhausen and other Indy racers battle it out at the fairgrounds, Terre Haute, etc... Then you'd go to the 500 and watch them there also. Maybe the mentality back then was better than today. I know that sounds like shear lunacy to you. But look at the state of USAC today. Everyone is pissed, it's too expensive to run, there is ZERO confidence in leadership, goodbye pavement sprints? Seriously? So how bad do things have to get for you to admit it is in serious trouble? Drop pavement midgets next? Maybe things would change if the mentality went back to what MADE USAC GREAT. That mentality is grass roots racing, not the new "corporate" mentality. How is that working out?

Midgets, sprints and dirt champ car racing is good old fashioned American grass roots racing, always has been, always will be. When you hire a guy from a plush corporate office, who doesn't have his thumb on the pulse of grass roots racing, to come in and reinvent the wheel....it won't work. I give the current gang about 2 more years before they say "screw this", and get the hell out of Dodge. Back to a corporate office job that they understand. By then maybe USAC will be un-repairable.
I sure hope not.
David.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE