View Single Post
ISF (Offline)
  #1 3/7/14 4:45 PM
Just now opened the envelope containing our 2014 Indianapolis 500 tickets and lo and behold our seats have increased in price by just shy of 24% IN JUST TWO YEARS.

IMS increased ticket prices for 2014 by around 14% and now The State of Indiana is getting in on the act to the tune of another 10%.

The accompanying letter that came with the tickets says The State of Indiana is imposing a Motorsports Admission Fee. This tidy little fee is designed to strengthen The State of Indiana's position as a global leader in the motorsports industry and create new benefits for for economic development in tourism, hospitality and motorsports businesses statewide.

I called the IMS ticket office and bent the ear of a very nice lady that had the unlucky displeasure of picking up the phone. She was very gracious and cheerfully informed me that I should be glad tickets aren't higher and that I can bring food and beverages to my seats on race day. I wasn't impressed and told her the Indy 500, as much as I love attending it, is less than a shadow of what it was 20 years ago and you got the nerve to be jackin' ticket prices 20% to 25% a pop? She replied that there are folks willing to give as much as $1000 for seats in our stand, section and row. I told her to send those folks my way 'cause if they offer me $2000 for my seats they'll damned sure have a deal. She said be very careful 'cause scalpin' is illegal without a permit in Indiana and Indiana especially likes bustin' folks from neighboring states for scalping tickets plus you lose your tickets, forever. I said forget about sendin' anybody my way to buy tickets 'till after the 2016 race.

Good Lord, I thought Illinois was bad.

I'm wonderin' what Indiana is going to do with this money besides line someones pockets with it.

We've got 28 years seniority in the 500 ticket renewal plan but as soon as the 2016 500 is over IMS and Indiana can start screwing some other happy race fan 'cause I can't take it in the pooper dry any longer!!

I'm also wonderin' if this blood sucking technique will apply to places like Terre Haute, The Fairgrounds and Anderson as well as IMS? If it does, Indiana will be into me pretty deep for the whole Memorial Day long weekend.

Sorry for the rant. I'll shut up now.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
4 Likes: AP64, chasinracin2, racer-x, team3521