View Single Post
10/15/08, 6:59 PM   #3
Re: Florida open wheel Dec/Jan. or Feb?
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

East Bay has the same split show they did last year. ASCS practice Wednesday January 28 and then racing the next three nights. Be aware that the Saturday night Laney Memorial is the night before the Super Bowl in Tampa. Last February, when I checked out of the motel I had stayed in for several years, I was told that they would have no rooms available for racers in 2009. The city had frozen 40,000 rooms for Super Bowl people.

After late models on February 1-7, sprint racing at East resumes with winged 410s on Monday, February 9 and Tuesday 10. The payoff is $3,000 on Monday and $5,000 on Tuesday, so I wouldn't expect a huge field. Last year they ended up with 16 sprints on Monday and Tuesday rained out. Apparently the WoO has a 48 hour rule, so none of them could come over after Volusia ran and run East Bay on Monday.

Last year Volusia ran the week between ASCS and the 410s. They are always much slower to update their site than East Bay, so nothing is posted for this year.

If my memory is correct (not something you want to assume), there were some pavement sprints running about that same time. Also, the All Stars ran a 410 race in northern Florida against the Saturday night East Bay show last year.

Hope this helps. And don't forget, the strawberries are ripe and cheap around Tampa at that time of year.

Frank Daigh