View Single Post
Brewer 14 (Offline)
  #96 9/4/08 9:56 AM
I was really hoping that this thread would make it to 100 posts! So I guess I will try and give it new life. The following are some of the thoughts I have had running through my head.

1. UMRA is not the only cluster f**k out there, look at USAC.

2. Times have changed and the min. age must be dropped to at least 14 for the TQ's. Get these kids in the TQ's and not the Mini-sprints.

3. TQ's put on the best shows at the small fairground tracks where they are the stars of the show. If a young kid wants to move up they will learn more in a TQ at Rushville than they ever will in a TQ (or mini sprint for that matter) at Bloomington or North Vernon. Besides why pad the back gate for a promoter at a Sprint Car race?

4. It won't hurt the TQ's to move to larger motor configurations, lengthen, & widen the cars. (don't go overboard on the motors but it is time to update)

5. TQ's are suppose to be economy racing. Membership cost for the UMRA are way too expensive and this is nothing new. I complained about this to the board in '01. (a lot of good that did)

6. Racing associations should not double as insurance agents. Every driver needs to look out for themselves and that includes buying their own insurance. We buy helmets and pay several hundred dollars to have a fancy paint job put on them. Here is an idea, forget the paint and buy and insurance policy!

7. Two organizations can survive. Look to USAC and MSCS. At one time there were 40-50 cars showing up at Rushville to race. The cars are out there. The people just want at place were they can come and race with no B.S. and it should not cost them a fortune to get in the gate.

8. Terry Goff's retirement (which I have heard before) will have no bearing on the future of the UMRA, nor should it. People come and go but the club will continue or fail on its own merit.

9. Finally, UMRA is club racing. Club racing gives every member a say in what goes on. Which is not always a good thing. Somebody has to run the show and tell everyone how things are going to work. Sometimes Chief Stewards, Flagmen, Presidents, and ect. can't make the calls necessary because they are at the mercy of the membership which causes inconsistency.

Well, that is about all I can think of for now.

J.L. Brewer