View Single Post
8/29/08, 12:30 PM   #91
Re: New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming
bigmojo5

A.J.
I agree with you on what impact the retirement of Terry will have. I am sure that Oogie and Jason and anyone else with Goff Racing will run with as much intensity as Terry does now.

And, one of the problems is consistency from race-to-race and-year to-year. However, USAC has the same problem, as does NASCAR. In Major League Baseball each umpire calls the strike zone slightly differently, and some even adjust it themselves if they believe they have been wrong. The same in the NBA on fouls, and the NFL on various things. We're talking about human beings not androids equipped with electronic eyes and a perfect recall of EVERY word in the rule book.

This infighting did not begin with the Goffs. It will not end when they are gone. It has always been there.

Before them, it was Dwenger Racing "ruining" UMRA. Before that, it was the Ambroses. The Yagle family sold off their stuff in the early 1980s and switched to other divisions.

And, it will evolve in a new racing league.

Infighting is one thing. Rough riding is another. It should not be allowed in any racing division. In my opinion, rubbing ain't racing. It's stupid. It's dangerous. Deliberately ramming another car can never be allowed. The only problem is, except in the most blatant incidents, the only person who really knows if the driver deliberately drove into another car is the driver himself. And, he's not going to admit it -- even if he did.

One final note, having been a reporter for many years, I was always amused at people who ran for office with great ideals and then found out just how much time and effort is involved. The $100 a race stipend given to the UMRA president is a very small rate for the time and dedication needed. I have seen school board members, county commissioners and even state representatives claim they understoood only to watch all but a very few become overwhelmed by the task. The same's true with running a racing organization, or at least, that's what I understand after talking many who have.

JIM MORRISON