View Single Post
12/19/23, 3:15 AM   #38
Re: IndyCar's Future
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Actually I saw a race between "electric" cars. It was from IRP and it was a competition between 4 colleges to create battery powered cars. Pretty sure it was on TV as a support class to one of the USAC classes. It was very strange to hear only the squealing of tires but no motor sound. Anyone else remember this, it was probably late 90's
I'm pretty certain the very 1st NBT500 I attended in 1994, offered this. We were walking in as that event occurred and I, as a 13 year-old, couldn't understand what benefit there is to using the sources of energy (in many states, coal reigns far supreme) it takes to charge a battery that is produced mining minerals out of the earth in various manners (including most likely, without OSHA controls, as well as child and slave labor); and then disposing of those same batteries in a relatively short time; and I was unable to fathom what interest this source of powerplant in a race car, would attract in any prestigious race that mattered; so I only paid so much attention. Interestingly, 29years later, I have yet to evolve on those thoughts...

Now, everyone should know, there IS at least one rear-engine open wheel class; that was developed to model this exact form of MOTOR racing; and they have done kinda well...they started off where the batteries wouldn't last the entire race, so they switched cars mid-way. It's come a long ways and they have OEM and plenty of teams and good drivers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_E (PS - I think I read somewhere - NOT on the most watched cable news network - that they sneak in fuel powered generators to charge the batteries, but I digress...)

But anyways, I would hope if they can't get OEM support and the technicalities shored up to introduce the hybrid; I sure hope they go with the spec fossil fuel format for the Indycar series - it really has done well lately; in regards to parity, close racing, and good car counts (I'm talking at the races other than the 500...which, unless they go to front engine silver crowns) I see no way will ever return to 50+ entries...there are just too many other ways to be "famous" (including Formula-E...) than just making the 500...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)