View Single Post
10/23/23, 7:53 AM   #25
Re: MSCS Series disbands
JJMooney

Not mentioned anywhere is that the Midwest Sprint Car Series was actually started by Chase Stockon’s grandfather, Sam Stockon, before the Helfrich’s acquired the series.

When the MSCS first got off the ground in 2001, Sam’s original plan was for it to be a low-buck series. I was at that first MSCS race. It took place at Fayette County Speedway, Brownstown IL on May 4, 2001. There were 17 cars. I believe it paid $500 to win, maybe $800. Drivers that I remember there were Donnie and Leon Gentry, Kenny Carmichael and Kenny Jr, Patrick and Craig Budde, Al Caton, and eventual feature winner, Travis Thompson. And in a bit of trivia, the UMP modified race that night was won by Shane Cottle.

With Sam Stockon at the helm the first 3-4 years, the MSCS went to many different tracks: Flora IL, Kentucky Lake, Macon IL, Farmington MO, Danville IL, Jacksonville IL, Bluegrass KY, Windy Hallow KY, Soggy Bottom KY, Madisonville KY. I remember there were some really off-the-wall places the series visited. Within a couple of years, a separate MSCS steel block-only series was created. I believe Chase’s first laps were run in that steel block division.

A huge thank to both Sam Stockon for his original vision and Tom Helfrich for carrying on the series and transforming it. The MSCS played a big role in non-wing sprint car racing in the Midwest. And some of the most memorable races at Haubstadt will forever be MSCS shows. There were some absolutely GREAT races. It’ll forever be a huge part of Haubstadt’s history.

I’m sad to see the MSCS go away. I know things change. I’m just happy to have seen it.