Thread: Lawrenceburg
View Single Post
9/29/23, 11:48 PM   #26
Re: Lawrenceburg
Harvestman

Thought I would chime in with a personal anecdote about my experience at Lawrenceburg.

For 4 or 5 years I had attended the occasional regular season event at the 'Burg but made a point of going to the Night of Destruction each year. School bus racing was the wildest thing I had ever seen. One night I was talking to Chad Cunningham (an old church acquaintance) and mentioned that I'd love to do some school bus racing if the opportunity ever arose. To my surprise Chad said that he would see what Dave had to say and would keep me posted.
At first, Dave was not keen on the idea of an outsider coming into the bus races. It took a lot of talking and reassurance to finally win him over. I got a bus, tore it down, slapped some Rust-Oleum on the sides, and hit the track in the "Hot Wheels bus" for the 2020 Night of Destruction. The kids all loved the theme, even if it wasn't very quick. It was an absolute blast racing something that was never meant to be raced at all.
Of course, the impending change in ownership meant that everything - including the track vehicles - had to go. I sold the bus this evening, to someone who will use the powertrain in his dump truck.
I'm not sure how well it came across from the stands, but there was a real comraderie among the "bus guys" (and gal) that really made me feel welcome. From Josh Shaw helping install a harness to Adam Clark making sure everything was in order mechanically, to T-Roy helping remove those last few seats and Brian Litchfield helping with fueling, I am really thankful to each one of them for welcoming me into their circle.
I owe a whole lot of thanks to both Dave and Chad for helping me out with making a far-fetched dream become a reality. Hopefully I'll get to do it again sometime.

(By the way - Dave's initial apprehension was for a good reason. The 2020 race was my first time racing any type of vehicle on any type of surface. Trial by fire for sure!)
Last edited by Harvestman; 9/29/23 at 11:52 PM.