Thread: Lawrenceburg
View Single Post
9/21/23, 8:33 PM   #22
TheLip2

As a former city councilman in neighboring Greendale, I am very familiar with the local political landscape and an avid racing fan, so I don't have any shortage of thoughts about the old promoter, but I am not going to share them here for reasons that can only be imagined.

Maybe I will change my mind at some point, but not today.

At any rate, Lawrenceburg Speedway is one of the nicest dirt track facilities in the state of Indiana. Hell, maybe in the United States. The city has built this facility and periodically provided upgrades including items such as the scoring tower and new dirt several times since the rebuild. It is 25 minutes from downtown Cincinnati.

Most promoters have to maintain a facility and try to find money for capital improvements such as lighting, grandstands, parking lots, etc. This is not necessary at Lawrenceburg Speedway. It is all there and ready to go.

Now, a new promoter will need track equipment and food service equipment, but I would guess Dave might wait to see who the new promoter is before he sells everything, but maybe I am wrong. It would make sense to sell it all at once to whoever is coming in, but who knows.

Anyway, in my opinion, this is a golden opportunity for an experienced promoter to expand their operations or a new promoter with racing experience who understands what the track needs to do to attract racers to the speedway every weekend. The facility is there.

People will support this track, IF racers support this track.

It is really that simple!

For the most part, most tracks have similar purses, pit fees, and the like. So, what is it that attracts and keeps racers coming back to a track? What makes them leave? I don't know all these answers, but I know one of them. Track Prep. Track prep is science, but IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. Further, if you don't know how to do it, there are dozens of promoters around the country who would be willing to help you and give you advice if you ask nicely.

I hope a good promoter is found for Lawrenceburg Speedway. I hope good promoters apply and I hope that someone isn't selected for their local connections or for political reasons.
Last edited by TheLip2; 9/22/23 at 2:05 AM.