View Single Post
8/9/08, 2:48 PM   #133
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
aXe

I dont live up there but go up most spring time for the 500. I go to as many open wheel races as time and rain allow. There is a more underlyng set of problems going on up there than what transpired at the avoided track shall we say.
When I get up there it seems I have been transported back 20 years to where I was brought up. most of the facilities remind Me of the less than stellar tracks out west back then! and there really werent that many, But come on now that was 20 years ago. Short track racing in this country is at a cross roads imho.
That group that left the track because of unsafe conditions were correct.
Some of The blame can be put on a lot of folks who havnt done their home work to have facilities that will cause fans & Racers to come back to it. There are lots of reasons for the myriad of problems affecting open wheel short track racing not just up there but from coast to coast! Wake up before it is to late get your house in order so the fans want to come back to it!!!
I am tired of hearing about the low buck racer who cant compete with those high doller teams! "SEE Chuck Gurney JR!". Racing is an expensive sport and has always been. the tracks with those high doller teams consistantly draw the best fields of cars and crowds that want to see more of them, Not those low buck teams that cant get it done properly. Not to take anything away from them some of the best have come from low buck teams.
Tracks operating in the dark ages should go see
TMS Dirt track
Lowes motor spwdy dirt track
I understand Lawrenceburg is now in that Class
Houston motor sports park dirt track
and many others around the country that have kept up with the times.
I just dont understand how a track operator thinks a person with a family that could come to thier track to be covered in dirt for about $10 a piece rather than go to a movie theatre for $7 or $8 sit in an air conditioned and heated building to see some of the best actors in the world! I just dont sse that happening?
Big big dirt problems abound at lots of dirt tracks.
back there some car owners and drivers are to blame but like most of this the blame can be spread around, I wont get into how those big tires make it allmost impossible to prepp a dirt track properly. :shoutEnough of My ranting, If I lived up there this would be twice as long as it is, Because I enjoy watching dirt track auto racing as much as any thing else I really like to do and it is real hard to do up there at most tracks even thougt the operators work their tails off trying most of the time to have good surfaces, come on it wont happen any time soon with those big tires they run now adays.
One more parting shot, race track preparers you HAVE to get the water into the track and it can only be done by turning over the dirt as water is added in track prep before race day!!!!!
aXe:checkered: