View Single Post
8/9/08, 8:45 AM   #109
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
Tony Barhorst

I want to apologize for what happened at Liberty Thursday. I have asked to be on the "Racin With D.O. Show" Monday to personally explain my side of events. Right now I am still stunned that teams would pull out of an event. I asked teams to work with us to get through this year, and they still loaded up and left THEIR fans without explanation. This hurt the fans and MY vision of them.

Jason McCord and I were fixing the issues that the teams had. We fixed the largest problem of the exposed concrete footer. We fixed the rebar problem, and others. And teams still pulled out. I feel that other tracks have some of the same issues: One USAC track this year had a large grader and other vehicles within stiking distance of race cars...and the teams did not pull out on them then. Even after Chad Boat hit the grader. I think fans know other tracks have vehicles within striking distance of race cars.

We fixed the problems...I have photos of the track after the races, and will show the footer held up decently.

I am in the entertainment businesss, and the show must ALWAYS go on, no matter what. Therefore we had safe races after USAC left.

The buck stops with me, and I take the blame. But I feel we could
have had a good USAC race based on the non points race we had. I paid the full USAC midget purse for the 14 fine teams that stayed.

Greg Staab.....Who toured the track with, gave the green light on having a race at Liberty. (I spoke with Greg yesterday, and he is doing VERY well) His firing had a part in this. My USAC rep was now GONE. The changes we asked for were not made by the Union County Speedway track owner. Keep in mind..they do have races at UCS every week with modifieds, and these issues did not come up with them. As a first year leasee of his track, I thought we fixed the problems when the teams still pulled out of the gate without anyone notifying me. I was not invited to any USAC meeting. I was trying the fix the problems. No one from USAC would tell anyone, the announcer what was happening.

I had to make the best of a bad situation , and still race. As a longtime USAC fan myself I am very sorry this happened, but am working through the issues with USAC. Listen for more developments soon. Have patience with the situation, and still go to the rest of Midget Week.

I wish the USAC Midget Week race tracks well as the series continues tonight at L-Burg. Dave Rudisell is a class act. Support Midget Week.

Best,
Tony Barhorst
Rumbleseries.com
Classic Motorsports, Inc.