View Single Post
8/8/08, 11:13 AM   #55
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
It would seem to me that it would be a simple thing for USAC to produce a document that would indicate their minimum safety standards for a facility,and then publish it. This way, any venue and/or promoter would be aware of the requirements well in advance. Now, I have no ideal how these events are brought about contractually, but I would find it surprising if there weren't some detail in such a document.

I guess you can tell that I do a fair amount of work with and for lawyers.
I'd have to believe that USAC's sanctioning agreement, like any other USAC paperwork, clear outlines the tracks' needing to mmet requirements for safety and insurance. But having said that, and having never seen a sanctioning agreement, I don't know whether USAC's contract was met, or even reviewed by the promoter at Union County. And did USAC ever inspect the track given its "history", as it were of being marginally safe.

While USAC and Kevin Miller have apologized for the debacle, all of this could have been avoided with proper preparation and investigation of the facility prior to the signing of the sanctioning agreement.

Does USAC have a competition director, or competition committee, that has the responsibility to ensure that any facility meets USAC standards and requirements? If it does, where was the breakdown? If it doesn't, well, I certainly hope that they learn from this incident and form a committee - quickly....

This is a black eye to all responsible - the promoter, USAC, and the owners/drivers. They ALL had on obligation to the fans to explain the reason forthe cancellation. And if the track announcer questioned the drivers' "manhood" for leaving, well. shame on him, too. Let's hope he was not justifying the track's position......

This is just sad, yet so preventable....Let's hope that everyone learns from it...including the fans. We are the reason that tracks hold races and that drivers/owners compete...if USAC loses us, well, it goes without saying what will happen next....

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: