View Single Post
2/4/23, 8:45 AM   #112
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
JJMooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
WoO at Flemington. Wolfgang won in something like 8 minutes.
I’m going to keep this thread going a bit more. I just jogged my memory a bit and realized that while Flemington has already been mentioned (the dirt version of Flemington), I doubt very many on here saw a sprint car race there when Flemington was covered in asphalt.

The first year the track was paved, 1991, I ventured down there for a November open-competition, winged sprint car race. The show was booked at a time when the WoO and ASCoC were running some pavement shows and the feeling was that, with their season over, some of their regulars and the PA Posse would show. It didn’t quite work out that way as only 13 cars were in the pits come race day.

Flemington as a dirt track was wild. Flemington as a paved track was downright gnarly. The track was shaped like a square, but you drove it like a circle. As I heard Billy Pauch say once, “You need to put a circle in the square”. Winged 410 sprint cars were just wicked. Planted. Flat out, all the way around.

With the small field, and concerns over tire wear, mechanical stress, and subsequent carnage, the decision was made to run two-15 lap features. Frankie Kerr, who was exceptional on pavement, decimated the small field in both features.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, WinglessLovers