View Single Post
1/23/23, 5:41 PM   #1
Opinions: CA Mid-Winter Fair (El Centro) 3/11/23
JJMooney

I know this is primarily an Indiana board. However, I’m hoping there are some West Coasters on here that can give some opinions. After more than 20 years, the Imperial Valley Raceway is bringing back the historic California Mid-Winter Fair Sprint Car race. It’ll be on Saturday, March 11th featuring the “Southern California Open Comp Non-Wing Sprint Cars”. It’s paying a decent purse - $5,000 to win.

Imperial (AKA El Centro) is one of those tracks I always read about in Open Wheel Magazine. The old CRA used to race at the Mid-Winter Fair when the fairgrounds track was a half mile, then a 3/8. (It’s now a ¼ mile). It's one of those historic places I feel I need to see at least once. I’m seriously thinking of booking a flight.

My question is: What's the talk out there about this show and the kind of field expected? Imperial has had some sprint shows recently but I can’t find out what they’ve drawn. With the purse, I’m hoping it will pull more than a few USAC/CRA regulars. So far, their schedule is open that weekend. I’d hate to fly all the way out there for 12 cars. (Although, I’ve been there, done that).

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, Ken Bonnema, oppweld