Thread: 22 highlights
View Single Post
12/28/22, 9:09 AM   #11
Andrew S. Quinn

I stopped in the final day of the Smackdown to talk with friends. Rick (ilovedirttrackracing) introduced me to some of his friends from around Toledo, Wisconsin, and one older gent from New York around Long Island.

I got talking with the guy from New York, and before long each of us had our phones out with photos. He used to have a NASCAR type modified, and going thru the pics, I says that’s Greg Sacks in the Wilsberg 5, Richie Evans in the 61 etc. the we started talking about midgets and also pine brook speedway in N J which was a popular 3/4 midget track.

Then I showed him photos from Van Kraft (RIP) where I used to go visit when I first moved to Indiana. Van used to restore Kurtis Midgets, and I’d stop by every Saturday during the winter to both watch and help Van with making body panels and the like.

You never knew what racing personality’s would walk into his shop, and one regular was Bob Harkey. I showed the guy a pic of Bob with a rail job Kurtis. He recognized Bob, but not the midget. He asked if it was a Gertler midget from Long Island, and I said no it’s a Kurtis and was based nearby Long Island, but not as famous a midget as it’s later brother. It was the Caruso 3, in getting some panel work for the Caruso’s. The Caruso 2 was a more famous car.

Anyway while we were talking his phone rang and he answered it and told whoever he was talking to that “I’ll have to call you back. I’m talking to a guy that speaks my language”!

Had a great time talking with him. It’s not always about the racing....