View Single Post
11/15/22, 9:40 AM   #76
Re: When and Where Did You See Your 1st Sprint Car Race
BrentTFunk

This has been a cool thread. Lots of good stories. I don't remember for sure my first race. It would have been probably 1964 or 1965 at Kokomo. I would have been 2 or 3 years old. My Dad has been gone for 23 years, and he said that is where I learned numbers and colors. The cars looked similar to today's cars, but were considered supers, because they had cages. Plenty of good drivers back then. Allen Barr, Ed Kennens, Dick Gaines, Ron Fisher, Butch Wilkerson, Jim Elliott, Mark Caldwell. I could go on and on.
The first race I distinctly remember was a USAC midget race in 70 or 71 cages were optional. About half the field had them. I had seen cars flip before and was very aware of what could happen if one did without a cage. Mel Kenyon won that night.
Back then USAC didn't run tracks smaller than a half. So, I didn't see my first USAC race until 76 at Winchester. Twin 50's won by Marvin Carmen. Saw my first Hoosier Hundred in 1978 won by Billy Englehart. Lots of fun times and have met some real nice people and a couple of know it all jerks lol.
My first WoO race was 1978 at Kokomo and it was non wing. Steve Kinser won and Bobby Kinser was second.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 11/15/22 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added last sentence