View Single Post
11/12/22, 9:09 AM   #53
Re: When and Where Did You See Your 1st Sprint Car Race
Terry Porter

In my 6th decade myself.

Not really sure of my first race. In 1974 (I was 4yrs old) we moved to Arlington Tx and ended up living next door to Don "Spike" Spiess from MN. He had built sprinters in MN, fielding a car for Jerry Richert Sr before work brought him to TX.

I remember plenty of night s with Spike and my dad at Devils Bowl. We do know we were at the inaugural WoO races, and, well, you all know who won.

In the 80's we made most of the WoO shows in TX and OK but didn't really have the time to travel. That all changed once Spike retired. He decided to hit the road and see as many races as possible.

Over the next 15-18 years we hit races everywhere we could. This started a 20+ year stint at the Knoxville Nationals, we made every Historical Big One, the Mopar Million, the Western World and another 20+ year stint at the Chili Bowl.

During this time made some lifelong friends we simply met at the track. One being our very own Andrew S Quinn or as I know him One Sock (long story). Unfortunately I lost my race buddy in 2007 so some of the traveling diminished, but I'm still trying to get to the races as much as my schedule will allow.

Just this year I managed to make a complete ISW (for the first time)with some great friends out of VT and we'll be getting together again for our annual trek to Tulsa in January.

What I've learned over all these years is racing people are just plain great folks!