Thread: Tire Dopers
View Single Post
3/19/22, 3:05 PM   #31
sprint38racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokayman View Post
Before I ask my question, I’ll begin by saying that I have no dog in this fight either way. Whether they did or they didn’t, or if something did or did not happen at the USAC race isn’t my ask here. My questions center around procedure. Can anyone explain the procedure for taking samples? I know the penalty report said the team grooved the fire after the race with their own grooving iron and that it was signed by the team representative. Is there only one piece taken for sampling or do they obtain multiple samples? Does the organization keep the spare sample (if taken) to have it tested for confirmation? How do they obtain a sample if the tire is (or is nearly) gone? Is there a minimum amount of material needed for the sample? Is there a second laboratory that the team could send a sample to (adhering to the same sampling procedure of the series) at their cost?
I’m just trying to get some additional information for my own edification.
Jake Simmons.
Jake, A series official comes and notifies the team that a tire sample is to be obtained. A team member using the teams grooving iron removes several samples from several areas as directed by the official. Each sample is about 1/2” or longer in length and about 1/8” in thickness. The samples are put in a mew container with the name of team and driver and then sealed and team member signs there name. The series sends sample to the lab they use. Results come back in a week or so. As far as USAC is concerned tire sample results are available from usac at following events. Other series are similar. Appeal processes are spelled out in series rules. I don’t know 🤷*♀️ if any individual teams keep and test their own samples independently.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J, tirespinner