View Single Post
8/30/21, 8:37 PM   #28
Re: Smackdown Takeaways
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Spencer View Post
Hey Russ, just wanted to clarify somethings. First of all the O’Connor’s have busted their butts to make the Kokomo Speedway one of the best track in the world! Yes, my wife and I help the speedway out because we live in Kokomo and I love the Kokomo Speedway. Here are a few things the Kokomo Speedway is involved with in our city to promote the track.

They are a member of the Kokomo Chamber of Commerce, which almost every business is involved with and all of these businesses work together to discuss events each other is having, so all of the hotels in town should know what’s going on at the track because they meet once a month.

They attend all of the events in Kokomo to promote the track such as, Jack Rabbits games, car shows, Haynes Apperson Festival and parade, and many more.

They advertise on all of the local radio stations and the track is also discussed on WWKI Mail Call program which is on Mon.-Fri. 9:30-1030. WWKI was also live at the track on Thursday night at the Smackdown.

They advertise in all of the local papers. Which are on their Calendar of events in the Perspective on Wednesday. Also in the calendar of events on Fridays of the Kokomo Tribune.

They are on all of the Social Media outlets, but Instagram.

Before COVID-19 we were in all of the local schools and colleges spreading the word snd even have discounts for students.

Believe me they are working very hard with the City of Kokomo and promote A LOT through the city!! Hope this clears up any confusion. Also if there are any suggestions for them to do better let me know or the ladies at the front, so we can better our program!

Thanks, Josh Spencer
Being part of the Chamber of Commerce or attending a Jack Rabbits game is not going to bring the local race fan, casual fan or local racer back to the track.

I can appreciate the efforts they have made in improving the old place. The catch fence, lighting, the area in front of the main grandstand and the back stretch grandstand were much needed improvements.

For whatever reason the track has made the decision to pretty much be a big show track. And that's cool....it's their track. Believe me, this has been pointed out to dozens of us by the owner of the place. But they have priced the casual fan out of attending. A family of 4 or 5 can not afford the price of admission. Not to mention the additional cost of food or drinks.

The local racer can no longer justify the cost of building a car to race there because they only get included in a few shows a year. Thunder Car, Street Stock, Modified, Hornet or even lower budget Sprint Car teams have found alternative places to race. And their family and friends have went with them.

I know you love the Kokomo Speedway and I can relate to that. For almost 50 years I was the biggest fan the place ever had. I would start checking the weather forecast for Sunday on Monday morning. The treatment I have witnessed of some local racers and fans at the place has changed my feelings.

2 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Shawn Harper