Thread: Knoxville USAC
View Single Post
7/11/21, 1:11 PM   #20
Re: Knoxville USAC
openwheelfan1

We went to the Corn Belt Nationals in 2019 and that year it was a 2 day show, Friday night and Saturday night. If I remember correctly, they had about 48 cars for the weekend. Knoxville ran their 360 winged sprints with the USAC cars on Friday night and their 410 winged cars as support on Saturday night. I will give the track crew credit....they provided a real good track for the USAC cars. It had a top groove and a bottom groove and sliders were the norm for every place but first, where Brady Bacon ran off and hid from the pack both nights. Overall, I felt like the racing was very good, and it was a fun weekend. The crowd was hard to judge, as the Knoxville grandstands seat close to 15,000 on the frontstretch side, and I felt like they were about 1/2 full. Locals said that the crowd was about double what they usually get for a weekly show.

We have attended the Knoxville Nationals off and on for over 30 years, and yearly for the last 10 years (2020 the exception). I would like to think the Corn Belt Nationals could eventually become a non wing version of the Knoxville Nationals, but I just don't see it happening.