View Single Post
10/5/19, 1:47 PM   #27
Re: F1 - Halo to the Rescue (Spoiler)
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
This is how extreme the clover safety culture has become. Always willing to excommunicate paying consumers on their endless crusade to control the behaviors of others.
You were the one saying people will leave because they no longer can see an individual get clonked in the head by a tire. I kindly showed you the path to the door, it's your choice to open it. I do find it sickening that someone would be so obtuse when it comes to safety. Racing isn't the only place safety evolves due to advancing technology and incidents.

Was I a girly man because I didn't want to be sent to war in the same gear as a Vietnam soldier and somebody out there thought Vietnam era gear complete with a cigarette dangling out of the mouth was "cooler" and completed the whole "war experience"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
And for who are they standing up for? No competitors have ever publicly clamored for any "solution". In fact, 90% of drivers have NOT come out to publicly support this initiative.
They haven't? They aren't? I wouldn't be so sure about that chief. These are the ones that posted something or gave comments during and after the latest test. I've seen others, not of this group, post or say things in the past that have eluded to if not out right said this is needed. Having paid attention to this initiative since Wilson and having talked to those in the paddock that are close to these guys it's closer to 90% than you think. I 100% agree with Marco. But hey, if you want to argue with them, they all have social media accounts. Have at it.

What I know from leading people and having been a part of safety initiatives is that many don't want to rock the boat. It takes a strong willed individual or group to effect change on a broken system, those are your Jackie Stewart types in the racing world. They will not counter those who have been on this thread or Twitter throwing their cat calls of "chicken", "pansy", etc with fists but with their minds. While they are leading the group up to the top of the mountain they'll leave those that would rather stay behind continuing on their path over a cliff and into a deep canyon. In other words, they'll leave what few of you remain yukking it up about how tough you are behind.

Will Power: “I’m so happy we have it. It’s a really huge step in the safety, and I think it ‘s the best of both worlds with the halo and the screen,” Power said. “I think you’ll see other racing categories follow suit. But when you think about it, you’ve driven it for a day, and I think you’re going to feel naked without it because there’s so much protection there.

I remember a couple times in the last five years on superspeedways … I went like this (bringing his forearm up to shield his face) with my arm, and that’s not going to stop anything that’s going to kill you. But that’s how much stuff you see flying toward your head and how lucky you really are to get through all that stuff anytime.

Dixon: “I remember hitting concrete walls (before the SAFER Barriers), and it wasn’t fun,” Dixon chuckled. “But this has been a huge advancement, not just for IndyCar, but for what they did for the sport. This has been something we’ve been wanting to implement, but you have to do it the right way with the right product and the right piece and right partners.”

Marco Andretti:To all the fans who think the @IndyCar windscreen doesn’t “look good”. Just remember.. it’s not your heads headed towards the fence. We welcome your responses in any other departments, though.

Rosenqvist: Good to see the aeroscreen live today, without any issues! Pretty or not - I like how @IndyCar has taken an approach without compromises. Don’t forget that we’re still racing on the most pure/hardcore tracks in the world, and for that to happen we need these updates.

Ericsson: Well done
@IndyCar. It’s a huge step for driver safety. And yes it looks a bit strange but everyone that criticise it should remember that always when there is big changes on the looks of racing cars (halo, new aero rules with strange wings etc) it takes time to get used to.

Newgarden: Lovin’ the look of the new aeroscreen! What do you all think?!

Jack Harvey: Thoughts? Personally... maybe not the prettiest but it’s still early. Thought the same about the Halo and now it’s normal. Huge step in safety and I’m always 100% behind that
Last edited by Brickyard; 10/5/19 at 2:03 PM.

1 member likes this post: fish