Thread: Kings Royal
View Single Post
cecil98 (Offline)
  #1 7/14/08 7:40 PM
Went to the King's Royal last night. It was the first wing race I've been to at Eldora in five years. The hot lap sessions are incredible when viewed from the turn 1 or turn 3 inside wall. That was the highlight of the evening. There were 34 cars there for $50k to win. The heat races were dreadful. Evenly spaced high speed parades. Maybe two or three passes that meant anything, if that. Once the pass was complete, that was it. There were very few, if any, sustained battles for a position. Dust wasn't bad at all. Great crowd. Daryn Pittman won because Saldana had a tire go down (not sure of the cause). Saldana was gone until that happened.
Steve Kinser threw a monumental temper tantrum over Donny Schatz being given an extra qualifying lap after getting a terrible time on his first two laps. He (Schatz)claimed another car on the track interfered. Steve pushed an official and loaded the car up. He later calmed down a little and ran. Started 18th(?) in the featch and wound up 4th or 5th(?) due to passing several of the slower cars running at the back-to-mid field and the rest of his positions came through attrition. He was the only one that seemed to be passing with the exception of the leaders lapping traffic. Went up to watch some buddies run. If they go back, I'll probably go back to support them. If not, I've seen all I need to see.