View Single Post
7/1/19, 3:32 PM   #8
Re: FAIRBURY, IL. July 6. POWRi Midgets, MOWA Sprint, LM, &
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
We've raced at FALS a lot the past few years with are Mod and the current promoter treats folks with respect. I understand how you feel I planned on going as well last year. The midgets and sprints are the headliner divisions. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the best tracks in the Midwest and I believe they will only get better under Matt Curl. I really don't have a favorite class to watch as I like them all. Should be a good show. Would love to see a USAC Sprint Car show there. I'd be willing to bet most of the fans would change their tune and opinion on open wheel racing. Hope the turn out is good for both the sprints and midgets on Saturday as I plan on being there to watch. Enjoy the show at Knoxville. That's another bucket list track for me.
As you might guess we have a favorite class of race car but they will never race at Fairbury. After the USAC Silver Crown division all other classes are equal in our personal rankings of enjoyment. Since we live very close we have attended more events at Fairbury than any other track. We were a part time crew member on a many time FALS dirt late model track championship team back in the mid to late 1980's into the early 1990's and FALS has a long reputation for being respectful and considerate to their competitors that by all indications and to their credit, remains solid to this day.

You're spot on in your evaluation that FALS is easily the best dirt late model track in Illinois at a time when other dirt late model tracks in the Illini State are struggling and a few mainstay facilities are actually closing. Of the tracks within driving distance of us I would only rank LPS and Kokomo ahead of FALS. So yes, it's in lofty company.

In regards to FALS regular's changing their mind's if the USAC National Sprints came to town..........not in a million years. I've hung around FALS for decades. The clientele is uber tribal. Anything that doesn't have fenders, a carburetor and ride 2' higher on the left side than right ain't ever gonna' appeal much to the backstretch bunch, no way-no how. The push & flips, as they are commonly referred to, are not likely to change those deeply held sentiments even if there were a half dozen haymaker sliders thrown every lap on both ends of the track!

Have a great time at Fairbury this weekend and may the rain stay in the clouds 'till after the racin' is done!

2 members like this post: nathans1012, tirespinner