Thread: Chili bowl
View Single Post
1/20/19, 5:29 PM   #39
Re: Chili bowl
ossuks

So, it comes down to this, 35 minutes of competition in 300 minutes. Some feel they were privileged to get to watch, others felt they were inconvenienced. So how do you perceive it?

Me, I grew up in a world with 4 tv channels. To put things in perspective, at 11 pm on New Years Eve was the Bluebonnet Bowl, and there was nothing cooler that staying up and watching that game. Today I could have watched 50 plus live games Saturday alone. When I was a youngster I would have put getting to watch a live race on the same stage as going to the Indianapolis 500. Trouble is, the entertainment world is at my finger tips today, and I felt like I was being held hostage last night. It was not a privilege to get to watch the Chili Bowl this mourning, it was a choice. A choice that some will not make in the future. The kind of choice that keeps the sport mired in a perception that it is a privilege. Which is why Sprint / Midget racing will soldier on with a "self contained" following on an obscure station.