View Single Post
8/31/18, 2:23 PM   #15
Re: Usac: Usac record 118 midgets officially entered for bc3
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I never wanted anyone to get me wrong on my questioning of things.
By any definition this first race will be a huge $$$ loser for IMS (Track Construction alone)

It adds to options in the future a well, Could see a Tues Night Midget week race. Could bring more car owners into our type of racing and/or sponsors, I don't know what the plans are. But in going from a temporary track as was advertised to a permanent that has been built, Im sure they have more plans for it.

Anyway, Gotta give thanks to all involved. Looked so weird to see the IMS pres Boles? in a suit on the dirt track with Sarah and others.
Before I answer I just want to say that this is no slam on USAC or the Clausons. Chuck if you run the numbers its obvious IMS wont be losing a dime on this race. Let me throw some numbers out there.

Lets do a low estimate, 3000 on night 1 and 4500 on night 2
Night 1
tickets 3000 x $25 = $75,000
Parking 1500 car x $10 = $15,000
Pit Passes 400 @ approx $40 = $16,000
Thats $106,000 before you talk concessions

Night 2
tickets 4500 @ average of $45 = $202,000
Pit passes 400 @ approx $40 = $16,000
Parking 1500 car x $10 = $15,000
Thats $233,000 before you talk concessions
$339,000 and thats before you talk about the $40 "Premium parking" inside the big track which from what I can tell is over by the front straightaway.
Are you saying that the cost of building the track and staffing the ticket and concessions are more than that? Building the track is what is called a capital expense and the cost of capital expenses are paid over the years not in one event. Its probably a tax advantage to keep that expense on the books for years.

Do you still think they will lose $$? Are my estimates way off? The speedway NEVER loses money. Thats why the tickets are expensive and there is a charge for parking. When in doubt do the math.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus